4.12.10

...saturday silver screen: manhattan

Manhattan

'Manhattan' is arguably Woody Allen's masterpiece. His latest work have been mostly disappointments, so it's easy to forget that Woody is one of the finest screenwriters and directors of our time. (I'm a big fan of so many of his other films, which I'll post about in the following weeks.) The black and white photography is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen in a film. The impeccable cast includes Diane Keaton, Meryl Streep and the teenage Mariel Hemingway in her best role.

The magnificent musical score by Gershwin, played by the New York Philharmonic, completes this masterpiece. I used to listen to this record (yes, a long playing record album!) repeatedly in the fall and winter of 1979 and 1980. Enjoy!


And just because it's Saturday and like me, you need a boost to get you through the next few weeks...
laineygossip

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...